Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Just One More Thing

As Rachel Maddow would say, "Just one more thing".....  I learned another lesson from this quilt.  Do not, I emphasize, do not use a deep blue color in a quilt unless you first wash it with Retayne or some other fixative and then probably wash it a couple more times.  

I should have known better.  I did know better; I just didn't pay attention.

Anyway, this blue bleeds.  It really bleeds.  I knew it would.  I tested it on scrapes and extra material.  I tested it with dye catchers and I still had bleed.  The dye catchers did their job valiantly, there was just too much color flowing plus where the blue was up against some other color in the washing process, it bled onto the other color.

So I had a choice.  I could send it unwashed and tell my nephew and his wife that they would have to dry clean it.  Or I could wash it and suffer the first consequences for them.  I debated.  But the main reason I made this quilt for them was to have them use it.  I visualized them all curled up under it on the couch.  They have one two year old child and another on the way.  They weren't going to use the quilt and dry clean it.  Wasn't going to happen.  It wouldn't have happened in my house when I was young and it still wouldn't.  A quilt that had to be dry cleaned would go into the cedar chest never to see the light of day again.

So I washed it.  And it bled.  It will probably still continue to bleed so I'm sending a box of dye catchers with the quilt.  But now they have no excuse not to use it. 

From a distance, the quilt doesn't look that much different.  At least not to the camera.  But when you do a close up of one of the stars, you can see the blue bleed.


One can always have would of's, should of's, and I obviously have one on this quilt.  But I still, given that it was going to bleed, think I made the best choice.  Wash it, take the hit, and send it off to them to be used.  However next time, I'll remember the lesson learned here.

2 comments:

Judy said...

*sigh* It's still beautiful, and I know it was the right decision. Hard to see your baby bleed.

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful, Veryl. As for "bleeding", well, that's just another unique charm of a quilt that was made with great love.

Yes, I know you'll wash the dark fabric next time - BTDT - but I'm glad you decided to wash and send the quilt as is. They will treasure it, and would probably never notice the bleed if you didn't tell them.

Catherine de la Cruz