Sunday, June 25, 2006

Weavers Of Worlds and Dreams

I've spent the last four days with people who weave dreams and worlds with words. The Writer's Weekend near Seattle was a combination of work, excitement, and laughter. Attendees included the elite of the world of books, editors and agents, along with those wonderful inspirations, published authors, and those of us who hoped to find that magical moment that might push us across the great divide from unpublished to published writer.

You who are out there struggling to publish that first book, story, poem or play might be surprised to learn that agents and editors are really human. They laugh; they impart information; they become exhausted; but most of all, I found them to be incredibly patient with all of us as we asked question after question both in and out of the workshop sessions.

My conference experience went stratospheric when an agent said, “I want you to send me your book.” It took all I had not to scream right there in the room. Someone was willing to give my book a serious read. Those are words of gold to an aspiring writer. Another golden moment was when an editor spent her lunch hour helping me to understand the workings of her publishing company and assuring me that my manuscript wasn't lost in the piles and piles filling the acquiring editor's office.

Old friendships were renewed and new friendships were made. Long conversations were held over drinks, during meals or while standing in a hall holding up the walls. We laughed, some of us may have cried and all of us were inspired. It was a wonderful, wonderful weekend.

Now the work begins. I'm winging my way back to Hawaii with words singing in my head. I have a manuscript to send off and a new one to start. Would I change things? Not for the world. Words are alive; life among them is magical, and my journey is just beginning.

2 comments:

Kary said...

Oh .... good luck, dear, sweet Veryl! I feel magic happening half way around the world! (Give or take some mileage ... ggg!)

Dudleyspinner said...

Veryl,
that is fantastic, congrats on the new Lendrum too.
Deb